sâmbătă, 19 aprilie 2014

good things come to those who wait


Dear Reader,

You might remember that a few months ago I was so enthusiastic while writing about a young man from South Africa sending letters with poems all over the world. I then took my pen and scribbled a few words, but, not receiving an answer, I simply supposed that my envelope got lost (as it sometimes happens for no particular reason). Still, one of the most important lessons I have learned these past years is that of waiting. Letters are about waiting. They reward you with incredible stories, on condition that you are prepared to wait. And that you persist, of course, when they suddenly fall in love on the road…

    It was on Monday that I got Ryan’s letter and, indeed, it put a biiiiig smile on my face. He is a Medical Physicist living in Pretoria and, apparently, also enjoys the little things that make every day special. ”I agree with you, it’s amazing how people react to receiving a genuine handwritten letter. It’s something beautiful.

       Now, you might be wondering, as many of my friends do, how come that I write even  to people I don’t know. Well, it all started as a challenge and turned into a therapy. A handwritten-lifestyle, which has somehow become my drawing of a Boa constrictor eating an elephant (if you are familiar with Saint Exupéry's Little Prince, you know what I mean), simply filtering the people who are still living as a child from the ”adults” who are not. To give you another example? Andrzej from Poland, whom I met accidentally three years ago while riding my bicycle. He is still writing time and again, and sending postcards and chocolate for Christmas and Easter (not to mention the huge amount I got two summers ago, when he came back to climb the Romanian Carpathians)…And there are dozens of similar stories, all packed in the envelopes I've gathered. The truth is I love people. This is why I take the risk of  opening my heart. Whenever there's a smile, a letter-story begins. Although it  might not always turn into a long-lasting friendship, I never stop seeking and telling people how much letters can change one's life…

       Letters are about waiting. Letters are about hearts. Letters are stories about people enjoying the beauty of life. Since when haven't you written a letter?
Best wishes,
G.